You can always count on extremists to politicize a horrific event. 09/11, Hurricane Katrina and other tragedies drew out the best in people. But sadly, they also drew out the worst. Some idiot – usually of the religious type – had some dumbass thing to say after the ordeal. Jerry Falwell said 09/11 was God’s retribution for America allowing abortion and homosexuals; others said the same about Katrina. So, as you might expect, a few morons have proven why they badly need an enema.
“You know what really gets me, as a Christian, is to see the ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs, and then some senseless crazy act of terror like this takes place.”
– Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX), during a radio interview on the Heritage Foundation’s “Istook Live!” show, when asked why he believes such senseless acts of violence take place.
“Ultimately, we don’t have a crime problem or a gun problem – or even a violence problem. What we have is a sin problem. And since we ordered God out of our schools and communities, the military and public conversations, you know, we really shouldn’t act so surprised when all hell breaks loose.”
– Mike Huckabee, former Republican Arkansas governor and 2008 presidential candidate.
“If they knowingly rejected Jesus Christ, then basically, they are going to a terrible place.”
– Jerry Newcombe, evangelical pastor, adding that victims who aren’t Christian are in hell.
“Whether it’s the Hollywood movies, whether it’s what we see on the Internet, whether it’s liberal bias in the media, whether it’s our politicians changing public policy, I think all of those somehow have fit together – and I have to say also churches who are leaving the authority of Scripture and losing their fear of God” are what “give us these kinds of incidents.”
– Fred Jackson, of the American Family Association.
“Where were the men of flight 93???? Someone should have stopped this man. …All that was needed is one Courageous/ Brave man prepared mentally or otherwise to stop this it could have been done.”
– Russell Pearce, former Republican senator on Facebook.
“James Holmes reached out to multiple women on a sex website in the days before launching a massacre which killed 12 people and injured 58 during a screening of The Dark Knight Rises, it has emerged. However, at least three of the women he contacted through AdultFriendFinder rejected his advances – even though he was apparently just hoping to ‘chat’ with ‘nothing sexual’ on the cards.”
– The Daily Mail.
“What if one of those much maligned Internet sex-finding women could have somehow found it in the kindness of her heart to fuck James Holmes? What then? Nothing. What happened in Colorado happened because a man who was trying to cause chaos was able to acquire the tools to do it successfully.”
– Erin Gloria Ryan, on Jezebel, pointing out that the killer planned his spree months ahead of time.
“When students are taught they are no different from animals, they act like it.”
– Pastor Rick Warren, in a tweet the day after the shootings.