The 1949 Buick Roadmaster was the fifth generation in the Roadmaster group. The car was the first of the “four-hole” Buicks of its era, with the brand’s trademark “ventiports” placed prominently on the front fenders. Initially, they actually provided some ventilation for the engine compartment, but in later models, the ports were purely emblematic.
The Roadmaster carried Buick’s legendary smooth-running, V8, overhead-valve engine, with 152 hp. Roadmasters came with a 2-speed Dynaflow automatic transmission as standard equipment, compared to the 3-speed manual transmission offered on lesser models. The Roadmaster also offered an upgraded interior as part of the “Deluxe” option. Among the features of a Deluxe Roadmaster were hydraulic power windows and seats – true novelties at the time. Available Buick Roadmaster body styles included a four-door sedan and two-door sedanette, a two-door hardtop coupe, a four-door station wagon and a convertible. Options included a toolkit, outside mirrors, hubcaps, a spotlight, a tissue dispenser, upholstery cushion toppers, a parking brake warning light, a sun visor vanity mirror and a polishing kit.