Survivalist Tip: It almost goes without saying that honey is one of the healthiest things you could consume. Obviously, I said it anyway, but what the hell! For thousands of years, honey has been used to treat everything from arthritis pain to yeast infections. I don’t have arthritis and the closest I’ve come to a yeast infection is bad breath; so I can’t speak for these claims. But, honey also can be used to aid the body in healing from cuts, burns and wounds, as it possesses natural anti-bacterial properties to prevent infection and reduce inflammation. It’s probably best known for easing the symptoms of sore throat, but it also helps to limit the effects of a hangover. Here are some other health benefits:
- It’s a great source of natural carbohydrates which provide strength and energy.
- It boosts endurance and combats lethargy better than caffeine.
- Its natural sugars help reduce muscle fatigue.
- It keeps levels of blood sugar fairly constant compared to other sugars.
- It helps to boost the immune system.
Honey is truly a universal health aid – next to chocolate and a dog. Just don’t call anyone “honey bear” at the start of the new Baktun. You’ll likely end up worse off than anything honey can cure.