Tag Archives: Steve Bannon
While there were some patriotic highlights of President Donald Trump’s speech this week at the Republican National Convention, I found more hypocrisy, factual errors and blatantly hostile rhetoric. Below is his entire speech, followed by what I feel were some of the most egregious comments amidst the verbiage.
“In recent months, our nation and the entire planet has been struck by a new and powerful invisible enemy. Like those brave Americans before us, we are meeting this challenge. We are delivering life-saving therapies and will produce a vaccine before the end of the year, or maybe even sooner.”
“Joe Biden is not a savior of America’s soul; he is the destroyer of America’s jobs, and if given the chance he will be the destroyer of American greatness. For 47 years, Joe Biden took the donations of blue-collar workers, gave them hugs and even kisses and told them he felt their pain. And then he flew back to Washington and voted to ship our jobs to China and many other distant lands. Joe Biden spent his entire career outsourcing their dreams and the dreams of American workers, offshoring their jobs, opening their borders and sending their sons and daughters to fight in endless foreign wars, wars that never ended.”
“We have already built 300 miles of border wall, and we are adding 10 new miles every single week. The wall will soon be complete. And it is working beyond our wildest expectations.”
(It must be noted, while Congress has authorized some spending for the project, most of the money for wall construction has been redirected from the military at the president’s insistence. Also Trump’s former political strategist Steve Bannon participated in a private effort to raise money for a border wall. Last week, Bannon and three others were indicted on charges that they siphoned hundreds of thousands of dollars each from the wall fund for their own personal use. Bannon has pleaded not guilty.)
“And I say very modestly that I have done more for the African-American community than any president since Abraham Lincoln, our first Republican president.”
– President Donald Trump, during his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention
On Thursday, the 20th, the political world received a shock when Steve Bannon, former campaign manager to Donald Trump, was arrested on tax fraud charges. Okay, maybe not too many were shocked. I mean, Bannon is the 10th former Trump official to be indicted on something. Bannon has been charged with personally using money from a non-profit intended to build a massive wall on the U.S. border with México – you know, the wall for which México was supposed to pay. Adding to the elitist irony of it all, Bannon was taken into custody aboard a yacht owned by an exiled Chinese billionaire.
But it’s Bannon’s mug shot that has elicited a slew of raucously crass comments. Any mug shot – which are just one step above driver’s license photos – always makes for a few good laughs. Looking at Bannon’s pic incurred all sorts of unsavory images in the Chief’s perpetually disturbed mind.
Hence, Steve Bannon’s mug shot makes him look like:
- The creepy old guy at the end of the bar who keeps winking at you. (I’ve been on both ends.)
- A man enduring a midlife crisis stepping into a Ferrari dealership while his wife is at a church retreat.
- A Walmart greeter.
- Fellow blogger and my brother in creatively mental instability Art Browne. (Love you, buddy!)
- A refugee from Jimmy Buffett’s “Margaritaville”.
- Any drunk at a Waffle House between midnight and 4 a.m.
- A headshot for a reverse mortgage commercial.
- Jerry Garcia’s missing twin.
- An NFL referee.
- Any 1980s-era televangelist.
- A 1980s-era rock star fresh out of rehab.
- A 1970s-era porn star fresh out of rehab.
- Any number of homeless men I used to see on the streets of downtown Dallas – only more pathetic.
- The old man who asks, “Want some candy?”
- The Chief at age 70. Oh God, how terrifying!