“They’ve redefined family for the first time in a federal – in a piece of federal legislation, to include committed relationships. The problem with that is it’s really hard to define a committed relationship, and it’s really hard to define anything related to that.”
– Rep. Andy Biggs, on a radio program produced by the conservative Christian group Family Research Council.
Biggs was one of 40 lawmakers who voted against the coronavirus stimulus bill, said he did so in part because the legislation included paid sick leave benefits for domestic partnerships.
“We’ll be thankful that we’re overreacting.”
– Dr. Anthony Fauci, on CNN’s “State of the Union.”
I’ve been listening to Dr. Anthony Fauci for several years now and know that he tells it like it is and doesn’t care about political ideology or shy away from controversy. Nearly four decades ago, he warned the burgeoning AIDS crisis posed a serious threat to the American health care system. But the right-wing idiots in the Reagan Administration still perpetuated the myth that only “Those People” could get sick with HIV. Now, we have another pack of right-wing dumbasses in the White House, and the same bullshit is spewing out. As far as I’m concerned, Fauci should be the most trust person in America right now.
On Thursday, March 12, the U.S. stock market experienced its worst day since October 19, 1987 (“Black Monday”). They recovered somewhat today, March 13, but economists fear a recession looms on the financial horizon.
The above expression is what many people had on November 9, 2016. It’s also the same expression I had when I found out Madonna really wasn’t a virgin. Then, I remembered – the song said “LIKE a Virgin”.
Billy D.’s response to Trump’s tweet regarding low gas prices amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. Like most conservative Republicans, Trump has his priorities.
“The Left is doing everything they can to blow COVID-19 and the fluctuating economy out of proportion.”
– Right-wing political activist Ed Martin, in an email earlier this week to his followers on why he believes the COVID-19 fiasco is having such a negative effect on the U.S. economy.
An attorney and politician from Missouri, Martin now runs the Phyllis Schlafly Eagles, a group founded by the late Phyllis Schlafly in 1972 in response to the then-growing women’s and gay rights movements.
“No one should have to choose between staying home and really now being at higher risk with the situation with the coronavirus or having to decide to go to work sick.”
– Ana Gonzalez, policy director for the Workers Defense Project, regarding the fact thousands of workers may be forced to take time off from work to stem the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Texas alone has more than 10 million people age 18 and above involved in the workforce. About 40% of them lack paid sick leave; the majority of them female and/or non-White. Texas is notably more pro-business than pro-worker, and state officials have fought various municipalities that want to implement mandatory paid sick leave by filing lawsuits and proposing legislation to undermine those efforts.
Now, with the COVID-19 scourge in full crisis mode, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has declared a state of emergency.
“I haven’t touched my face in weeks! I miss it.”
– Donald Trump, in response to a reporter’s question about the importance of practicing basic hygiene amidst the COVID-19 outbreak, during an Oval Office meeting with airline executives.